The family of Prince Andrew's late sexual abuse accuser, Virginia Giuffre, is celebrating the royal relinquishing his remaining titles amid continued fallout over his ties to the late sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein.
“This is not just a victory for her, but for every single survivor of the horrific crimes perpetrated by [Jeffrey] Epstein and his co-conspirators”, family members told The New York Post in a statement.
The family has called for Andrew, who has denied all wrongdoing, including Giuffre’s allegations, to lose his title of prince next.
Earlier Friday, in a statement released by Buckingham Palace, Andrew said a decision had been reached in discussion with the King to relinquish his remaining titles, including the Duke of York, as “the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the royal family”.
Giuffre, who died by suicide earlier this year, was one of the first people to publicly call for charges against Epstein and has been an outspoken advocate for his alleged victims.
open image in galleryGiuffre alleges that as a teenage victim of Epstein’s sex trafficking ring she had sex with Prince Andrew multiple times, which he denies.
In 2022, Andrew reached a multi-million-pound settlement with Giuffre to end a civil case against him.
As part of the settlement, Andrew expressed his regret for associating with Epstein and donated to Giuffre’s victim advocacy work.
Public attention into Andrew’s Epstein ties continued throughout the trial of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s right hand, who is currently serving a 20-year sentence in federal prison for trafficking.
open image in galleryA posthumous memoir by Giuffre, Nobody's Girl: A Memoir of Surviving Abuse and Fighting for Justice, is slated for release on October 21.
The memoir details Giuffre’s account of meeting Maxwell while working the front desk at a spa inside Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort.
Elsewhere, Giuffre writes of what she said were three sexual encounters with Andrew, including one that was preceded by the prince guessing she was 17 years old.
Outside of the scandal associated with Giuffre, Prince Andrew is facing separate allegations he met multiple times in 2018 and 2018 with a senior Chinese official at the heart of the China spy scandal.
