Ex-FBI director Comey seeks dismissal of charges, cites vindictive prosecution

AdvertisementUnited StatesWorldUnited States & CanadaEx-FBI director Comey seeks dismissal of criminal charges, cites vindictive prosecution

Comey claims he is a victim of Trump’s ‘personal spite’ and charges against him were filed by an unlawfully appointed lawyer

Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMP

Former FBI director James Comey is sworn in remotely from his home during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing in 2020. Comey on Monday accused the Trump administration of unlawful conduct. Photo: US Senate Committee on the Judiciary / Handout via Reuters

Reuters

Former FBI Director James Comey on Monday asked a federal judge to dismiss criminal charges against him, arguing that the US lawyer who brought the case was unlawfully appointed and that he is being unfairly targeted because of US President Donald Trump’s “personal spite” against him.

AdvertisementThe court filings from Comey, which accuse the Trump administration of “wilfully unlawful conduct”, represent his best chance to get the charges quickly dismissed and avoid a jury trial. Comey previously said he is innocent and has “great confidence” that the court system will clear his name.

“The indictment in this case arises from multiple glaring constitutional violations and an egregious abuse of power by the federal government,” Comey’s legal team wrote in one of two filings, which said the case should be dismissed on the basis of it being a vindictive and selective prosecution.

“President Trump ordered the Department of Justice (DOJ) to prosecute Mr Comey because of personal spite and because Mr Comey has frequently criticised the president for his conduct in office,” his lawyers said.

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment. Comey was the first of three of Trump’s political foes to be criminally charged in recent weeks.AdvertisementSince then, the Justice Department has also brought charges against New York State Attorney General Letitia James, who filed a civil fraud lawsuit against Trump while he was out of power, and Trump’s former National Security Adviser John Bolton, who has publicly said Trump is unfit to be president.AdvertisementSelect VoiceChoose your listening speedGet through articles 2x faster1.25×250 WPMSlowAverageFast1.25x