CloseThe death toll from Hurricane Melissa is growing as the powerful storm nears the Bahamas after leaving a trail of “catastrophic” destruction across Jamaica and parts of Cuba.
Authorities in Haiti said that at least 25 people, including children, have been killed, the Associated Press reports. Haitian officials initially reported that 40 people were killed, but they later corrected the number. In Jamaica, at least eight people have been killed. One death has also been reported in the Dominican Republic. That would bring the current known death toll from the hurricane to 37 across the Caribbean.
It’s expected that the extent of Hurricane Melissa’s damage will be clearer in the coming days as authorities work to reach the hardest-hit areas.
Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated to shelters ahead of the arrival of the “extremely dangerous” storm, with a hurricane warning put in place for Santiago de Cuba, Guantánamo, as well as the southeastern and central Bahamas, among other places.
Hurricane Melissa was a Category 5 storm at its peak, and one of the strongest Atlantic hurricanes on record. Now, it’s been downgraded to a Category 1 storm with 90 mph winds, according to the National Hurricane Center.
The storm is expected to move across the Bahamas on Wednesday evening and pass near Bermuda late Thursday, the NHC said.
Recommended
How Hurricane Melissa could turn US soldiers’ attention from bombing ‘drug boats’ to humanitarian aid
Influencer under fire after complaining Hurricane Melissa ‘messed with’ her vacation in Jamaica
British holidaymaker stranded by Hurricane Melissa describes ‘undercurrent of panic’ in Jamaica
Hurricane Melissa makes landfall in Jamaica with 185mph winds as thousands flee homes
Reminder: Hurricane Melissa a record storm for Jamaica
Hurricane Melissa was the strongest storm to hit Jamaica since record-keeping began 174 years ago.
It tore off roofs and caused fallen trees, landslides and heavy flooding, resulting in at least eight deaths.
As of Wednesday, more than 25,000 people were packed into shelters, and the country’s education minister said 77 percent of the island was without power.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 23:16
U.S. disaster relief workers en route to the Caribbean: report
Dozens of U.S. disaster relief workers, including urban search and rescue teams, are en route to the Caribbean to help local communities with the destruction caused by Hurricane Melissa.
Disaster Assistance Response Team personnel from Washington and regional hubs in Miami and Costa Rica as well as the urban search and rescue crews from Los Angeles County, California, and Fairfax County, Virginia, are en route to the region, three State Department officials told The Associated Press.
They are expected to arrive in the next 24 to 48 hours and join up with local staff in Jamaica, the Bahamas and the Dominican Republic, where they will be based to offer help in neighboring Haiti, per AP.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 22:55
Dozens evacuated from Bahamas as Melissa approaches
Dozens of people in the southeast of the Bahamas are being evacuated as Hurricane Melissa bears down on the archipelago.
“We’ve had about five flights so far,” said Alex Storr, executive chairman of the Bahamas’ Disaster Management Authority, adding that officials expect at least four more flights later Wednesday.
Melissa is expected to cut through the southeast Bahamas Wednesday evening and through to the morning.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 22:34
In pictures: Drone footage shows devastation across Jamaica
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 22:10
Hurricane Melissa tracker: Where will storm head next after devastating Cuba and Jamaica?

Hurricane Melissa tracker: Where will storm go after devastating Cuba and Jamaica?
Hurricane Melissa is tracking towards the Bahamas after leaving widespread destruction across Cuba, Haiti and JamaicaMike Bedigan29 October 2025 21:53
Recap: Hurricane Melissa continues on to the Bahamas
On Wednesday Hurricane Melissa smashed through Cuba after laying waste to Jamaica, leaving thousands without power and multiple casualties. It has arrived in the Bahamas and is expected to hit Bermuda Thursday.
Here’s a recap, following the National Hurricane’s Center’s 5 p.m. update:
- Over 50 casualties have been reported across the Caribbean, including four in Jamaica, one in the Dominican Republic and dozens in Haiti, including children, after a river burst its banks.
- As of Wednesday evening the Cuban government discontinued all hurricane and tropical storm warnings for their Cuban provinces. A tropical storm warning in effect for Haiti has also been discontinued.
- Hurricane warnings are in effect for the southeastern and central Bahamas and Bermuda, and a tropical storm warning is in effect for the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Airports in Jamaica are expected to reopen for relief and commercial flights in the next 48 hours, the country’s transport minister has said.
- Over 70 percent of Jamaica was left without power following Melissa’s destruction earlier this week, island officials said.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 21:38
Jamaica's three airports to reopen for flights and relief
Jamaica’s three international airports will reopen within the next 48 hours to provide relief and evacuation flights, the country’s transport minister has said.
Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston will be accepting relief flights by 4 p.m. local time Wednesday, Daryl Vaz wrote on X.
Commercial flights from the airport are scheduled resume at 7 a.m. Thursday.
Ian Fleming International Airport on the island’s northeast coast will open Thursday at 7 a.m. for commercial flights.
Sangster Airport in the north of Jamaica will reopen for relief flights at 10 a.m. Thursday, Vaz added, with commercial flights to be determined “following completion of assessment.”
Sangster was reported to have sustained heavy damage, including to its departures lounge during the storm Tuesday.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 21:20
Melissa starting to accelerate over Bahamas
Hurricane Melissa is beginning to to accelerate northeastward over the Bahamas, according to the latest update from the National Hurricane Center.
The agency warns that damaging winds, flooding rains and a dangerous storm surge will continue in the area throughout Wednesday night.
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 21:00
'Do not take comfort from storm downgrade,' warns Bahamas minister
A Minister for the Bahamas has warned that residents should “not take comfort” in the downgrading of Hurricane Melissa from a Category 5 storm to Category 2.
Leon Lundy, Minister of State with Responsibility for Disaster Risk Management Leon Lundy urged residents to remain on alert and sheltered Wednesday, saying that the “danger has not passed”.
“While the storm has lessened in strength, it remains a serious and dangerous system,” he told reporters.
“Category two winds and the threat of flooding still poses real risk to life, and we remain vigilant and on high alert. No one should take comfort in the downgrade. The danger has not passed.”
Mike Bedigan29 October 2025 20:47
'Trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces': Jamaica natives assess destruction
Jamaican residents have described their heartbreak in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.
“I’m looking at my house, and so many things have blown away,” Empress Thandi Wise told The Associated Press Wednesday.
“Windows are out, doors are out. I’m just trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces. Everything is wet.”
Wise and her family, including her elderly mother and 12-year-old daughter, sheltered at a friend’s house during the storm and haven’t been able to get to the wellness center and yoga studio she runs on the other side of town.
