Trump says US to boycott G20 in South Africa, cites treatment of white farmers

AdvertisementDonald TrumpWorldUnited States & CanadaTrump says US to boycott G20 in South Africa, citing treatment of white farmers

The US president says no American officials will attend this year’s Group of 20 summit, repeating claims of abuse of Afrikaners

Reading Time:1 minuteWhy you can trust SCMP

US President Donald Trump shows a copy of an article that he said its about white South Africans who had been killed, in the Oval Office in May. Photo: Reuters

Associated Press

US President Donald Trump said Friday that no American government officials would be attending the Group of 20 summit this year in South Africa, citing the country’s treatment of white farmers.

Advertisement

Trump had already announced he would not attend the annual summit for heads of state from the globe’s leading and emerging economies.

US Vice-President J.D. Vance had been scheduled to attend in Trump’s place, but a person familiar with Vance’s plans who was granted anonymity to talk about his schedule said Vance would no longer travel there for the summit.

“It is a total disgrace that the G20 will be held in South Africa,” Trump said on his social media site.

In his post, Trump cited “abuses” of Afrikaners, including violence and death as well as confiscation of their land and farms.

07:55

Trump ambushes South Africa’s Ramaphosa with false ‘white genocide’ claims

Trump ambushes South Africa’s Ramaphosa with false ‘white genocide’ claims

The Trump administration has long accused the South African government of allowing minority white Afrikaner farmers to be persecuted and attacked.

AdvertisementSelect VoiceChoose your listening speedGet through articles 2x faster1.25×250 WPMSlowAverageFast1.25x