CloseAirlines across the U.S. are canceling hundreds of flights at major airports due to the ongoing government shutdown.
More than 650 flights within, into or out of the U.S. have been canceled for Friday, when air traffic cuts are due to begin, based on data shared by FlightAware.
It comes after Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced 40 of the country’s busiest airports would be reducing flight schedules by 10 percent.
A federal judge in Rhode Island ordered the Trump administration on Thursday to find enough money to fully fund the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as SNAP, for November.
The ruling from the judge in Rhode Island comes after the administration said it would only partially fund SNAP using $4.6 billion in emergency funding for the month, leaving roughly half of the more than 41 million Americans enrolled in the food stamps program without benefits.
The ruling comes after President Donald Trump threatened to withhold SNAP funding if Democrats did not reopen the government – a threat the White House brushed off.
The Trump administration has appealed the judge’s ruling.
Recommended
Trump announces plans to slim down cost of popular weight-loss drugs to $149 a month
Nancy Pelosi announces she won’t seek re-election, ending nearly four-decade career in the US House
Judge orders Trump to fully fund SNAP after defying court order: ‘This should never happen in America’
Airline pilot union president urges Congress to open up the government as air traffic controllers resign
Air Line Pilots Association President Jason Ambrosi has urged Congress to open up the government as air traffic controllers resign.
“ We're thousands of controllers short of where we should be,” Ambrosi told CNN’s Jake Tapper Thursday evening. “We need to get the government open so we can…get more controllers and press forward.”
There was already a shortage of controllers before the shutdown exacerbated the problem.
Rachel Dobkin6 November 2025 23:30
Flight cancellations start to soar as airports comply with cuts over government shutdown
Major airports across the U.S. started to cancel flights Thursday ahead of massive cuts to air traffic made by the Federal Aviation Administration amid the ongoing and historic government shutdown.
By Thursday evening, there was 160 cancellations within, into or out of the U.S., according to flight-tracking site FlightAware.com. More than 650 flights had already been canceled Friday, the day that the cuts are due to begin.
It comes after Transport Secretary Sean Duffy and the FAA announced that 40 of the country’s busiest airports across two dozen states, including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, would be phasing in a 10 percent reduction in their flight schedules.
The disruptions will affect service at many smaller airports, too, and by Thursday some travelers had already begun changing or canceling their itineraries.
Read more from Mike Bedigan:

Flight cancellations start to soar as airports comply with cuts over shutdown
By Thursday afternoon there had already been a total of 473 cancellations domestically, and 130 in and out of the U.S.Rachel Dobkin6 November 2025 23:26
Trump administration appeals ruling to fully fund SNAP
The Trump administration has appealed a federal judge’s ruling to fully fund SNAP benefits in November.
Read more about the ruling from Alex Woodward:

Judge orders Trump to fully fund SNAP after defying court order
The government failed to ensure states could quickly send out partial benefits, leading to preventable delays that are leaving millions of families hungry, judge saysRachel Dobkin6 November 2025 23:01
Watch: Dr. Oz turns Oval Office fainting incident into PSA
Dr. Mehmet Oz told Americans what to do if they see someone starting to faint after he helped a businessman who collapsed during an Oval Office press conference earlier Thursday.
Rachel Dobkin6 November 2025 22:50
White House continued to blame Democrats for shutdown woes amid flight cancellations
The White House has continued to blame Democrats for distress caused by the government shutdown as United Airlines and other major carriers cancel hundreds of flights.
Rachel Dobkin6 November 2025 22:30
Democrats demands Trump 'deliver the payments now' after judge orders admin to fully fund SNAP
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a New York Democrat, has demanded that the Trump administration “deliver the payments now” after a federal judge ordered it to fully fund SNAP benefits.
Rachel Dobkin6 November 2025 22:10
NYC and Chicago among 40 travel hubs that will see fewer flights as government shutdown drags on
Airports in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago are among the 40 major travel hubs to be affected by flight cuts due to the ongoing government shutdown.
The flight reductions will start as soon as Friday after the Federal Aviation Administration maintained the decision was paramount for safe air travel amid pressure on air traffic controllers, who “are under immense stress and fatigue.”
Rhian Lubin reports:

NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago among 40 airports to see fewer flights
Travel experts predict hundreds, if not thousands, of flights could be canceledAriana Baio6 November 2025 21:50
Trump administration must fully fund SNAP: federal judge
A federal judge has ordered President Donald Trump’s administration to fully fund Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits through November.
The ruling, issued by a Rhode Island judge on Nov. 6, comes after plaintiffs argued the president is withholding SNAP benefits — relied on by 41 million Americans — as political leverage amidst the government shutdown.
Trump administration officials previously pledged to partially fund SNAP benefits during the shutdown.
The federal judge said SNAP benefits must be fully funded by Nov. 7.
Brendan Rascius6 November 2025 21:23
Man who hurled a sandwich at federal officers in DC in protest found not guilty of assault
The man who threw a sandwich at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer in Washington, D.C. — becoming a symbol of resistance against President Donald Trump’s law enforcement surge in the U.S. capital — has been found not guilty of assault.
After deliberating for nearly seven hours, a jury in D.C. found Sean Charles Dunn, a former Justice Department employee now known as the “Sandwich Guy,” not guilty of misdemeanor assault on Thursday.
Read more here:

Man who hurled sandwich at federal officers in DC found not guilty of assault
Sean Charles Dunn threw a sandwich at a federal officer on August 10Isabel Keane6 November 2025 21:00
Supreme Court allows Trump to block trans people from choosing sex markets on passports
The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to enforce a rule preventing transgender or nonbinary people from choosing their own sex marker on their passports.
In a brief order, the conservative majority of the court said displaying a person’s sex at birth “no more offends equal protection principles than displaying their country of birth.”
“The government is merely attesting to a historical fact without subjecting anyone to differential treatment,” the court said.
The liberal justice of the court forcefully dissented, saying the majority had “inflicted” injury on transgender or nonbinary people for a policy that would not harm anyone
“Such senseless sidestepping of the obvious equitable outcome has become an unfortunate pattern,” Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson wrote for the liberal justices.
“This Court has once again paved the way for the immediate infliction of injury without adequate (or, really, any) justification. Because I cannot acquiesce to this pointless but painful perversion of our equitable discretion, I respectfully dissent.”
