Trump pauses all asylum decisions; order follows shooting near White House
Representational (AP file photo) Trump administration on Friday ordered US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officers to stop making all asylum decisions, following the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, DC. The pause comes after Wednesday’s attack, which officials say was carried out by an Afghan man who received asylum earlier this year. One of the soldiers has died. The suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, entered the US in 2021 under the Biden administration’s humanitarian parole programme and was granted asylum this spring. The order affects all nationalities and covers “affirmative” asylum cases handled by USCIS. Officers were told to continue interviews and case reviews, but stop at the point where a decision would normally be entered. In-person appointments scheduled for Monday, where applicants receive final decisions, were also cancelled. In a statement to CBS News, USCIS director Joe Edlow confirmed the decision. He said, “USCIS has halted all asylum..
