AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Over 1,000 flights canceled and 5,000 delayed as FAA forced cuts continue to cause havoc for travelers

More than 1,000 Saturday flights were canceled and thousands more were delayed as the Federal Aviation Administration reduced air traffic at airports across the country due to the government shutdown, creating chaos for travelers.
The shutdown has dragged on for a record 39 days, meaning air traffic controllers have not been paid for over a month.
To reduce the “immense strain and fatigue” on the federal workers as some of the busiest holiday travel days approach, Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced Thursday that 40 airports would be forced to cut flight capacity. Flights were reduced by 4 percent Friday. Airports are bracing for next week, when the FAA said reductions will ramp up to 6 percent by November 11, 8 percent by November 13, and 10 percent by November 14.
On Saturday, travelers were already left scrambling. More than 7,000 flights in the U.S. faced disruptions, according to FlightAware, as ground stops and delays plagued travel hubs. Though some of the delay were..

Uncategorized

Syria leader arrives in US for Trump visit after removal from terror blacklist

AdvertisementMiddle EastWorldMiddle EastSyria’s leader arrives in US for Trump visit after removal from terrorism blacklistAhmed al-Sharaa, whose rebel forces ousted Assad, has been working to present a moderate image, in a break from his group’s violent past
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPAgence France-PressePublished: 7:10am, 9 Nov 2025Updated: 7:51am, 9 Nov 2025Syria’s President Ahmed al-Sharaa arrived in the United States on Saturday for a landmark official visit, his country’s state news agency reported, a day after Washington removed him from a terrorism blacklist.
AdvertisementSharaa, whose rebel forces ousted long-time ruler Bashar al-Assad late last year, is due to meet US President Donald Trump at the White House on Monday.
The interim leader met Trump for the first time in Riyadh during the US president’s regional tour in May.
US envoy to Syria Tom Barrack said earlier this month that Sharaa would “hopefully” sign an agreement to join the international US-led al..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

FBI launches investigation into passenger’s death on Carnival cruise ship

The FBI is investigating the death of a cruise ship passenger, according to officials.
A passenger traveling aboard the Carnival Horizon cruise ship reportedly died during a recent voyage, according to WSVN.
Carnival Cruise Line said it was cooperating fully with federal investigators, based in Miami, and is focusing on supporting the passenger’s family.
The ship returned to Miami on schedule Saturday.
“Since this is an ongoing matter under the jurisdiction of law enforcement, all media inquiries need to be directed to the FBI’s Miami public affairs office,” the company said in a statement.
A passenger died while traveling aboard the Carnival Horizon in November 2025. The FBI is investigating the passenger’s death (Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)The Independent has requested comment from the FBI.
No further details were made available about the passenger or the circumstances of their death.
A recent Netflix documentary, and a high-profile incident in Aus..

Uncategorized

Hong Kong holds key ‘accelerator’ role as China’s trade strategy evolves

AdvertisementHong Kong economyOpinionChina OpinionBruce PangOpinion | Hong Kong holds key ‘accelerator’ role as China’s trade strategy evolvesThe city’s institutional strengths, strategic location and service capabilities make it a pivotal enabler of China’s changing trade architecture
Reading Time:3 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPBruce PangPublished: 6:30am, 9 Nov 2025China’s trade has displayed remarkable resilience this year. Its goods trade expanded 4 per cent year on year for the nine months so far in yuan terms, according to customs data. Quarterly growth accelerated from 1.3 per cent at the start of the year, to 4.5 per cent by midyear and finally to 6 per cent. This steady momentum reflects both the robustness of demand and continued refinement of China’s trade structure.AdvertisementBut the regional performance has been uneven. Exports to the United States fell 27 per cent year on year in September under the weight of tariffs, continuing August’s decline. The European market, ho..

World

Six dead as Russia hits energy and residential sites in Ukraine

Six dead as Russia hits energy and residential sites in Ukraine8 hours agoShareSaveJames Landale,Diplomatic correspondent in Kyiv and Alex KleidermanShareSaveReutersTwo people died in a Russian strike on an apartment building in DniproAt least six people have died after Russia launched hundreds of missile and drone attacks on energy infrastructure and residential targets in Ukraine overnight.
A strike on an apartment building in the city of Dnipro killed two people and wounded 12, while three died in Zaporizhzhia.
In all, 25 locations across Ukraine, including the capital city Kyiv, were hit, leaving many areas without electricity and heating. Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said on Telegram that major energy facilities were damaged in the Poltava, Kharkiv and Kyiv regions, and work was under way to restore power.
In Russia, the defence ministry said its forces had shot down 79 Ukrainian drones overnight.
The Ukrainian air force said Russia had launched more than 450 exploding bomber..

World

What Hungary’s Orban did – and didn’t – get from Trump

What Hungary's Orban did – and didn't – get from Trump8 hours agoShareSaveNick ThorpeBudapest, HungaryShareSaveEPA/ShutterstockOn the surface, the Hungarian prime minister's trip was exactly what he went to Washington for: luxuriant praise and an exemption from sanctions on Russian oil, gas and nuclear supplies.
And all that just five months out from a difficult election.
Look closer, however, and the picture is less clear cut. The US side struck a hard trade deal – and an expensive one for Hungary.
And there's no progress on Viktor Orban's biggest headache: ending the war in neighbouring Ukraine, and with it the long shadow the conflict casts over Hungary.
Let's look first at Orban's key win – an exemption from US sanctions, which a White House official told the BBC was time-limited to one year, although Péter Szijjártó, Hungary's foreign minister, said would be indefinite.
The time span is interesting. Trump clearly wants to help his friend wi..

Uncategorized

What happened to Jimmy Kimmel? Live show cancelled at last minute with no explanation

Viewers tuning in to Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Thursday night were surprised to see a rerun instead of the new episode that had been promoted. The show was scheduled to feature David Duchovny, Stranger Things actor Joe Keery and singer Madison Beer. No announcement was made before the change, which led to confusion and questions across social media.Sudden schedule change with no explanationThe only confirmation came from Madison Beer. She posted on Instagram that her appearance had been “rescheduled due to unforeseen circumstances.” Duchovny and Keery did not comment. The show’s official channels also remained silent, and ABC did not respond to requests for clarification.One viewer shared an email from the show’s audience department stating that the taping had been postponed and that tickets would be rebooked. Entertainment site LateNighter suggested the delay was due to a personal matter concerning Kimmel, though no details were provided.This is the first unplanned change since Kimmel was..

Uncategorized

After Labubus: Why are people camping outside Starbucks and fighting over the ‘Bearista Cup?

The 20-ounce glass Bearista cup, priced at US$29.95, sold out within minutes, leaving fans camping outside Starbucks stores overnight without success/ Image: X Just as the world was recovering from the Labubu frenzy, another collectible craze has stirred the internet into a froth, this time, in the form of a teddy bear-shaped glass cup from Starbucks. The new “Bearista” cold cup, part of the coffee chain’s 2025 holiday collection, has proven so wildly popular that fans have camped out overnight, brawled in stores, and flooded social media with complaints, forcing Starbucks to issue an official apology.A cuddly cup that brewed chaosReleased on 6 November 2025 alongside Starbucks’ festive drinks menu, the Glass Starbucks Bearista Cold Cup is a 20-ounce glass vessel moulded in the shape of a teddy bear. It features a green knitted Starbucks beanie, a reusable straw, and a price tag of US$29.95. The design, both nostalgic and charming, immediately caught the attention of collectors and Sta..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Trump finally agrees to fully fund SNAP food stamps during shutdown – for now

President Donald Trump’s administration has agreed to fully fund a critical food assistance program that has stranded millions of Americans and their families after the government failed to keep it afloat at the start of the month.
But the government is simultaneously appealing a court order to ensure the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is fully funded after a weeklong lapse — the first in the program’s 61-year history.
A federal appeals court rejected his emergency request Friday night, leaving the order in place to fully fund SNAP for November.
On Thursday, a federal judge gave the administration 24 hours to fully fund SNAP and the Department of Agriculture said Friday afternoon that it will immediately begin funding the program while the legal challenge plays out.
District Judge John McConnell had ordered the administration to deliver full payments to states by Friday after finding that the government failed to address any administrative issues that prevented states from q..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Court leaves order in place requiring Trump admin to provide full SNAP payments for November

A federal appeals court leaves an order in place that requires President Donald Trump ’s administration to provide full SNAP food benefits for November amid a U.S. government shutdown.
The judge gave the Republican administration until Friday to make the payments through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. But the administration asked the appeals court to suspend any court orders requiring it to spend more money than is available in a contingency fund, and instead allow it to continue with planned partial SNAP payments for the month.
The food program serves about 1 in 8 Americans, mostly with lower incomes.
The court filing came even as the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in a memo to states that it’s working to make funds available Friday for full monthly SNAP benefits.
Officials in at least a half-dozen states confirmed that some SNAP recipients already were issued full November payments on Friday.
Which states issued SNAP payments
“Food benefits are now beginning t..