Uncategorized

Satellite maker Uspace pivots to AI applications at new tech centre in Shenzhen

AdvertisementArtificial intelligenceBusinessCompaniesSatellite maker Uspace pivots to AI applications at new tech centre in ShenzhenThe initiative forms part of efforts to operate a network of more than 100 ‘Golden Bauhinia’ satellites above the Greater Bay Area
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPCheryl ArcibalPublished: 7:30am, 4 Nov 2025Uspace Technology Group will set up an artificial intelligence application technology centre in Shenzhen, as the satellite manufacturer realigns its space business after moving its headquarters from Hong Kong to Guangzhou, capital of southern Guangdong province.AdvertisementA unit of Uspace, Gang Hang Ke, will spearhead the centre’s establishment, the company said in a filing with the Hong Kong stock exchange on Monday evening.It said the new facility will focus on intelligent decision-making for satellite remote sensing data as well as AI-based satellite data processing and analysis to drive satellite-ground computing synergy, among others.
..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

What to know about Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry’s intervention in LSU football

Gov. Jeff Landry is being applauded by some for taking a stand against bloated contracts in college sports and derided by others for political grandstanding that could make it harder for Louisiana State University to land a new football coach.
This much is clear: The governor has been a vocal force in a sports shakeup that has consumed LSU recently.
The university lost its football coach and athletic director last week amid criticism from Landry, a smooth-talking Cajun populist and staunch ally of President Donald Trump.
The episode is just the latest example of Landry being hands on with LSU since taking office last year. He once revived the team’s tradition of bringing a live tiger onto the football field, publicly called for the school to discipline professors who criticized Trump in class and complained about LSU women’s basketball players not being on court to stand for the national anthem, though the team did not change its pre-game routine.
Here’s what to know:
What did Land..

Uncategorized

International condolences pour in after Afghanistan earthquake kills 20

AdvertisementEarthquakesWorldRussia & Central AsiaInternational condolences pour in after Afghanistan earthquake kills 20Pakistan, India, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia and the UK expressed sympathy for the loss of life and the hundreds injured in Monday’s quake
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPdpaPublished: 7:20am, 4 Nov 2025Several countries as well as the European Union have offered their condolences after a powerful earthquake struck northern Afghanistan, killing 20 people and injuring hundreds, according to official reports.
AdvertisementThe country’s national disaster management authority said 20 people have died and 643 were wounded, revising down earlier figures reported by the state-run news agency Bakhtar, which had put the death toll of the overnight quake at 27, with more than 700 injured.Pakistan, India, Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom on Monday expressed their sympathies for the loss of life and the people of Afghanistan.Hadja Lahbib, the EU’s Commi..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Baby Emmanuel’s father Jake Haro sentenced to decades in prison for 7-month-old son’s murder in faked disappearance case

Jake Haro has been sentenced to 25 years to life in California state prison for the murder of his seven-month-old son Emmanuel, a child the family originally claimed was kidnapped in August, setting off a sweeping missing person search.
Haro, 32, dabbed at tears in a Riverside County courthouse on Monday as the judge read out the sentence for the “senseless assault and murder” that claimed Emmanuel’s life.
“While no sentence can possible vindicate the loss of innocence and life at the hands of Mr. Haro, a man who was supposed to protect these precious and defenseless children against evil and harm, the sentence here is the most the court can do to ensure that as much justice is done as possible,” the judge said.
Emmanuel’s maternal grandmother, Mary Beushausen, told the court the baby’s death had “destroyed my whole family.” She faulted the justice system for giving Haro a “second chance” after a 2023 conviction for willful cruelty against his child from a previous marriage, which resu..

World

China academic intimidation claim referred to counter-terrorism police

China academic intimidation claim referred to counter-terrorism police1 hour agoShareSaveDamian GrammaticasPolitical correspondentShareSaveBBCAn investigation into allegations that Sheffield Hallam University faced sustained pressure from China to shut down human rights research has been referred to counter-terrorism police.
The BBC and the Guardian newspaper has been reporting that documents show that China had waged a two-year campaign of intimidation and harassment, including demands the university stop sensitive research by one of its professors into claims of forced labour in the Xinjiang region of China.
A South Yorkshire Police spokesperson said the force has referred the investigation on because the “allegations fall under Section 3 of the National Security Act”.
Section 3 of the act deals with “assisting a foreign intelligence service”.
An offence is committed if someone behaves in a way that “intends that conduct to materially assist a foreign intelligence service in carrying..

World

Trump administration will tap emergency fund to pay partial food stamp benefits

Trump administration will tap emergency fund to pay partial food stamp benefits5 hours agoShareSaveAna FaguyShareSaveGetty ImagesUS President Donald Trump's administration has said it will provide reduced food aid to more than 42 million Americans, as the government shutdown this week heads towards becoming the longest ever with no resolution in sight.
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) said in a court filing that Americans who receive food assistance will get half their normal monthly allotment, after the government dipped into emergency funding.
Judges had given the Trump administration until Monday to provide a plan for how it would pay out Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Snap) benefits, also known as food stamps.
Funding for the programme has been in limbo due to the more-than-month-long shutdown.
While individual US states administer the benefits, the programme relies on money from the federal government, which has been unfunded and shut down since 1 October..

Uncategorized

‘Criticize me all you want’: Kash Patel shields girlfriend Alexis Wilkins from trolling, says she’s a true patriot

Kash Patel called Alexis Wilkins a true patriot shutting down trolls. FBI director Kash Patel put out a statement amid the new allegations against him that he went to attend his girlfriend's performance in Pennsylvania on a $60 million FBI jet. FBI directors are not allowed to travel on any commercial plane and are supposed to use FBI jet for their personal use too paying reimbursement for that. But a former FBI agent Kyle Seraphin sensationalized this as he brought this to the notice of the people on his podcast as he said: “We’re in the middle of a government shutdown where they’re not even gonna pay all of the employees that work for the agency that this guy is jetting off to hang out with his girlfriend in Nashville on our dime?”FBI clarified that Patel always pays reimbursement in advance and his personal use is limited as he's always on FBI duty .But the FBI director made it a point to send across a message to “supposed allies” who are staying silent when he and his par..

Uncategorized

Pointing gun at Anita Anand’s photo: Canada ministers condemn protest outside Indian consulate, call it ‘vile and unacceptable’

Canada ministers condemned the SFJ protest in which a placard had minister Anita Anand's face merging with that of Indira Gandhi and two turbaned individuals pointing their guns at her. Canadian foreign minister Anita Anand's photo was merged into a photo of former Indian PM Indira Gandhi and two turbaned individuals — part of the placard — were pointing guns at her. Sikhs for Justice protesters outside the Indian consulate in Toronto displayed such a placard, drawing sharp reaction from Canadian ministers.”Targeting a public official with threats or violence undermines our democracy. At a recent protest, there was a deeply disturbing depiction of guns being pointed at a photo of Minister Anand. We condemn these acts of hate unequivocally. There is no place for this in Canada,” Secretary of state for international development Randeep Sarai said.Public safety minister Gary Anandasangaree did not mention Anita Anand's name as he wrote: “A recent protest in Toronto showed..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

‘That’s harsh’: CNN’s Tapper taken aback by Treasury boss Bessent’s Blue Jays dig after epic World Series Game 7 loss

Scott Bessent didn’t miss his opportunity to take a dig at Ontario Premier Doug Ford and the Toronto Blue Jays after their heartbreaking World Series defeat during a Sunday morning appearance on CNN with Jake Tapper.
The U.S. Treasury Secretary pushed back when asked by Tapper about President Donald Trump’s plans to levy additional tariffs against Canada after, accusing Ontario officials of election interference.
.”He didn't put on a 10 percent tariff, he threatened to put on a 10 percent tariff,” Bessent said. “And Jake, this is unacceptable. I read the premier of Ontario spent $75 million sending propaganda across the U.S. border —”
Tapper cut him off and reminded him that the “propaganda” he was mentioning was just former footage of Ronald Reagan speaking about tariffs in his own words. Bessent ignored the comment and did not engage with Tapper's clarification.
“It's the equivalent of election interference,” Bessent continued. “Nobody likes foreign election interfer..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Mississippi woman kills monkey that escaped from overturned truck outside her home: ‘I did what any other mother would do’

A Mississippi woman shot and killed one of the monkeys that escaped from an overturned truck last week because she reportedly feared for the safety of her children.
“I did what any other mother would do to protect her children,” Jessica Bond Ferguson told The Associated Press. “I shot at it and it just stood there, and I shot again, and he backed up and that's when he fell.”
Ferguson, who has five children ranging in age from 4 to 16, grabbed her gun on Sunday when her eldest son told her he thought he had seen a monkey running in the yard outside their home near Heidelberg, Mississippi.
When she stepped outside, she spotted the monkey about 60 feet away from her. The Mississippi mom said she and other residents had been warned about the diseases that the escaped monkeys carried so she fired her gun.
open image in galleryA truck loaded with caged Rehsus monkeys crashed on Interstate 59, north of Heidelberg, on TuesdayThe Jasper County Sheriff's Office confirmed in a social ..