Uncategorized

CK Hutchison gets encouraging signs of a deal with Panama government

AdvertisementUS-China trade warUSDiplomacyPanama ports deal: CK Hutchison gets encouraging signs from Panamanian governmentPanama is still open to being flexible and reaching an amicable agreement with CK Hutchison, owned by Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPFrank Tangin WashingtonPublished: 6:39am, 21 Oct 2025Updated: 6:42am, 21 Oct 2025A senior Panamanian official said on Monday that Panama will remain flexible and potentially reach an agreement with CK Hutchison as the Latin American country navigates the geopolitical rivalry between the United States and China.Advertisement“We are working on a plan in case that [Panama’s Supreme Court] ruling goes against the extension of the contract” for CK Hutchison, said José Ramón Icaza, Panama’s minister of canal affairs.
“In that case, we have to step in as the Panama Maritime Authority to take control of that concession, without generating a disruption of the supply chain,” he said in an event wit..

Uncategorized

Ex-FBI director Comey seeks dismissal of charges, cites vindictive prosecution

AdvertisementUnited StatesWorldUnited States & CanadaEx-FBI director Comey seeks dismissal of criminal charges, cites vindictive prosecutionComey claims he is a victim of Trump’s ‘personal spite’ and charges against him were filed by an unlawfully appointed lawyer
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPReutersPublished: 6:17am, 21 Oct 2025Former FBI Director James Comey on Monday asked a federal judge to dismiss criminal charges against him, arguing that the US lawyer who brought the case was unlawfully appointed and that he is being unfairly targeted because of US President Donald Trump’s “personal spite” against him.
AdvertisementThe court filings from Comey, which accuse the Trump administration of “wilfully unlawful conduct”, represent his best chance to get the charges quickly dismissed and avoid a jury trial. Comey previously said he is innocent and has “great confidence” that the court system will clear his name.“The indictment in this case arises from multiple glaring cons..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Border official defends use of ICE’s aggressive tactics in Chicago

U.S. Border Patrol agents operating in Chicago have now been equipped with body cameras, a development confirmed on Monday during a court hearing addressing the Trump administration's immigration crackdown.
This initiative follows a judge's order amid complaints of increasingly combative tactics and over 1,000 arrests.
Last week, U.S. District Judge Sara Ellis mandated that uniformed agents must activate cameras where they are available during arrests, frisks, building searches and deployments to protests.
Kyle Harvick, deputy incident commander with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, informed the judge that every Border Patrol agent involved in Operation Midway Blitz “now has a body-worn camera”.
He added that 201 Border Patrol agents are stationed in the Chicago area, with other federal agencies, such as U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also participating in the operation.
U.S. District Judge Sara Ellis mandated that uniformed agents must activate cameras where ..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Hulu saw its rate of cancellations double after Kimmel was pulled from the air: report

Hulu saw its rate of cancellations double after Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night show was temporarily pulled from the air, according to a new report.
Last month, ABC suspended Jimmy Kimmel Live! for about a week following comments the comedian made about the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.
His suspension caused a wave of outcry from celebrities, politicians and others who believed pulling the show was a violation of free speech protections. Some went as far as to boycott Hulu and Disney+, streaming services of Disney, which is the parent company of ABC.
The rate of Hulu subscription cancellations spiked to 10 percent in September, up from 5 percent in August, according to data from subscription-analytics firm Antenna. Similarly, the rate of Disney subscription cancellations rose to 8 percent from 4 percent.
open image in galleryHulu saw its rate of cancellations double after Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night show was temporarily pulled from the air, according to a new report (..

World

Lisbon funicular crash initial report reveals litany of failings

Lisbon funicular crash initial report reveals litany of failings59 minutes agoShareSaveMark Lowen andAlison Robertsin LisbonShareSavePeople seen running after funicular derails in LisbonA preliminary report into last month's funicular crash in Lisbon that killed 16 people has detailed a litany of failings.
Portugal's Air and Rail Accident Investigations Bureau said an underground cable – which acted as a counterweight between two carriages and broke, prompting the crash – was defective and had never been certified for passenger transportation.
It said the cable was not technically suitable and was acquired in 2022 by the company that runs Lisbon's public transport, Carris.
The 140-year-old Glória funicular, popular with tourists, derailed and crashed into a building on 3 September.
There were 11 foreigners among those killed, including the three British nationals, while another 20 people were injured.
The preliminary report, released on Monday, said there had been no ov..

Uncategorized

See how Nepal worships its dogs as VIPs with garlands, feasts, and love in the Kukur Tihar festival

Featured In World'Behave, be good or you will be eradicated': Donald Trump's warning to Hamas against Gaza truce breach – watch'I don't speak Hindi': 18-year-old Navjot Singh faces deportation to India from New Zealand because parents overstayedFlorida AG issues criminal subpoena against Roblox, calls game 'breeding ground for predators'Emiru issues strong statement after viral video shows fan trying to kiss her at TwitchCon 2025 eventVeterinarian criticizes Hasan Piker for using electronic collar on dog Kaya during streamsMr Beast 2025: Parents, Monthly Income, Age, Weight, Girlfriend, Biography and moreRichmond land grab: Major controversy in Canada, homeowners call for pause in negotiations with First Nations'I don’t like you and never will': Donald Trump’s awkward confrontation with Australian ambassador in White House – WatchWatch: Indian-origin journalist teaches Andrew Cuomo correct pronunciation of Mamdani; 'You want to lea..

World

Deadly Gaza flare-up tests Israel-Hamas ceasefire

Deadly Gaza flare-up tests Israel-Hamas ceasefire10 hours agoShareSaveYolande KnellMiddle East correspondent, JerusalemShareSaveReutersSunday saw the deadliest day of attacks since the ceasefire took effect on 10 OctoberOne week ago, US President Donald Trump was given a hero's welcome in Israel after securing the Gaza ceasefire and exchange of Israeli hostages for Palestinian prisoners.
But the days since have shown just how precarious the ceasefire is, and Sunday brought its biggest test so far.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) launched a series of deadly strikes across Gaza, after two soldiers were killed in the southern city of Rafah in an attack it blamed on Hamas. Hamas said it was not responsible because it had not had contact with fighters in the area since communications were cut off in March.
An Israeli security official announced the suspension of aid deliveries as a result of the attack.
It appears US pressure ensured the truce was not derailed and that Israel's cr..

Uncategorized

‘State-sanctioned murder’: Indian-origin Congress candidate on ‘US killing Colombian fisherman’

Saikat Chakrabarti reacted to Colombia's claim that US killed a Colombian fisherman who had no links to drugs. Colombia has accused the US of violating the South American country's sovereignty and killing a Colombian fisherman after teh US military struck an alleged drug-trafficking vessel in September. Colombia's president Gustavo Petro said Alejandro Carranza, a fisherman, was killed in the strike. “The United States has invaded our national territory, firing a missile to kill a humble fisherman, destroying his family and his children. This is Bolívar’s homeland, and they are murdering his children with bombs. The United States has violated Colombia’s national territory and murdered an honest, hardworking Colombian citizen. Let Bolívar’s sword be raised!” Petro said, adding that the fisherman had no ties to drugs.Amid the ongoing clash between Trump and Petro, Trump said in a post to social media that Petro “does nothing to stop” the production of drugs in his country,..

Uncategorized

‘As we gather with our families for Diwali…’ HAF objects to Rutgers University’s anti-Hindu conference, ‘We are not proxy of RSS’

HAF director Suhag Shukla objected to Rutgers University's upcoming anti-Hindutva seminar. The Hindu American Foundation expressed its objection to an upcoming conference sponsored by Rutgers University targeting the Hindu American community in the United States and asked the university to dissociate itself from the event. The event titled 'Hindutva in America: A threat to Equality and Religious Pluralism' will be held on October 27 to discuss a report that was released six months ago. The report called Hindutva in America an 'ethnonationalist threat' to equality and religious pluralism. The Hindu American Foundation issued an open letter addressing the university, asking it to distance from the event. The HAF said that the report equates Hindutva with white supremacy or fascism and calls HAF a proxy of the RSS. “HAF is not a proxy or affiliate of the RSS< an Indian organization considered to be the parent of the current ruling party in India, the Bharatiya Jan..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Israel reaffirms commitment to ceasefire after launching wave of strikes on Gaza

Israel has reaffirmed its commitment to a ceasefire in Gaza despite launching a fresh wave of strikes on the enclave and temporarily shutting off aid.
The IDF said in a statement that terrorists had fired an anti-tank missile and gunfire towards IDF troops working in Rafah on Sunday.
An Israeli military official told The Independent that Hamas had carried out “multiple attacks” against Israeli troops beyond the agreed withdrawal line in a “bold violation of the ceasefire”.
“The attacks included an RPG shot at a military force, and a sniper fire against a military force,” they added. “Both of the incidents happened in an Israeli-controlled area, east to the yellow line. This is a bold violation of the ceasefire.”
The Israeli strikes killed at least 45 people in Gaza, according to local residents and health authorities.
open image in galleryDisplaced people in Rafah, southern Gaza (AP)Hamas’s armed wing said that it remained committed to the ceasefire agreement in all of Gaza, adding tha..