World

Israel to open Gaza humanitarian corridors as aid drops begin

Israel to open Gaza humanitarian corridors as aid drops begin3 hours agoShareSaveRuth ComerfordBBC NewsShareSaveReutersPalestinians waiting for food from a charity kitchenIsrael has said it is prepared to open humanitarian corridors to allow UN convoys into Gaza, following weeks of international pressure and a growing hunger crisis.
In a statement on Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had allowed air drops of humanitarian aid to resume, the first of which consisted of seven pallets of flour, sugar and canned food provided by international organisations.
The announcement came amid calls for Israel to let more aid into Gaza and amid warnings of mass starvation following months of limited supply to the territory's two million people.
Israel denied what it called “the false claim of deliberate starvation in the Gaza Strip”.
The IDF said it had “begun a series of actions aimed at improving the humanitarian response in the Gaza Strip”, and was “prepared to implement human..

World

Gaza aid site offered a ‘women only’ day. It didn’t stop the killing

Gaza aid site offered a 'women only' day. It didn't stop the killing5 hours agoShareSaveEmir NaderBBC News, JerusalemShareSaveBBCMary Sheikh al-Eid’s family arrived at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis after learning she had been killedThe food distribution was announced in advance, like many before it, in a post on social media carrying an illustration of smiling Palestinians receiving boxes of aid.
This time, however, the invitation shared by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) was different, featuring illustrations of only women.
“Tomorrow at our morning distribution at our location in the Saudi district, only women are welcome to come and receive a food box,” the GHF post said. “Men should avoid the site during this distribution.”
Mary Sheikh al-Eid wanted to feed her seven children. Her husband had been killed earlier in the war and the family had been surviving on lentil soup for three weeks, said Mary's sister Khawla, but the last week had been a struggle.
“..

AmericasUS Crime NewsWorld

House ethics panel tells AOC to make more payments over her Met Gala ‘Tax the Rich’ outfit

The House Ethics Committee has told Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat, to make more payments over her Met Gala “Tax the Rich” outfit.
While the Met Gala is always an eye-catching affair, in September 2021, Ocasio-Cortez stunned onlookers with a Brother Vellies custom white mermaid gown that had the words “Tax the Rich” written in red on the back.
At the time, the congresswoman explained on Instagram she wanted to bring attention to the idea of raising taxes for the wealthiest Americans by doing so “in front of the very people who lobby against it,” per the Daily News. The event cost $35,000 per person at that time, The New York Times reported.
For years, the ethics panel has been investigating Ocasio-Cortez’s attendance at the 2021 Met Gala, and now it says she must make additional payments worth nearly $3,000 in relation to the event.
open image in galleryThe House Ethics Committee has told Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a New York Democrat, to ma..

AmericasUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Disgraced former Republican Rep. George Santos reports to prison to begin seven-year sentence

Disgraced former GOP Representative George Santos, whose wild public scandals ranged from pretending to be a Broadway producer to embezzling campaign donor funds, reported to prison Friday to begin his seven-year sentence for fraud.
Santos, 37, is now in custody at a federal prison in Fairton, New Jersey after pleading guilty last year to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. Santos represented parts of Queens and Long Island, serving for barely 12 months in 2023 before he was expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives.
Santos shared a goodbye post on X Thursday night, thanking his allies and critics alike.
“Well, darlings
The curtain falls, the spotlight dims, and the rhinestones are packed,” he wrote. “From the halls of Congress to the chaos of cable news what a ride it’s been! Was it messy? Always. Glamorous? Occasionally. Honest? I tried
most days.”
“To my supporters: You made this wild political cabaret worth it,” he added. “To my critics: Thanks for the free press. I m..

World

‘I witnessed war crimes’ in Gaza, former worker at GHF aid site tells BBC

'I witnessed war crimes' in Gaza, former worker at GHF aid site tells BBCA retired US special forces officer has revealed to the BBC why he resigned from his work with US- and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) aid distribution centres.
“I witnessed the Israeli Defense Forces shooting at the crowds of Palestinians,” Anthony Aguilar told the BBC.
He added that in his entire career he has never witnessed such a level of “brutality and use of indiscriminate and unnecessary force against a civilian population, an unarmed, starving population”.
21 minutes agoMiddle EastIsrael-Gaza warIsraelGazaShareSave

World

Almost a third of people in Gaza not eating for days, UN food programme warns

Almost a third of people in Gaza not eating for days, UN food programme warns3 hours agoShareSaveMaia DaviesBBC NewsShareSaveReutersInternational concern has risen this week with warnings that starvation has gripped GazaAlmost one in three people in Gaza are going days without eating, the UN's food aid programme has warned.
“Malnutrition is surging with 90,000 women and children in urgent need of treatment,” the World Food Programme (WFP) said in a statement.
Warnings of starvation in Gaza have intensified this week. Nine more people died of malnutrition on Friday, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry – bringing the total such deaths since the war began to 122.
Israel, which controls the entry of all supplies into Gaza, says there is no restriction on aid getting into the territory and blames Hamas for any malnutrition.
An Israeli security official said on Friday that airdrops of aid into Gaza could be allowed in the coming days – something aid agencies have..

AmericasUS Crime NewsWorld

Idaho college killer Bryan Kohberger is a shower-hogging ‘weirdo’ who calls his mom daily for hours, fellow inmates say

Convicted mass murderer Bryan Kohberger called his mother for hours, took lengthy showers and washed his hands “dozens of times a day” behind bars, according to his fellow inmates.
The former PhD student, 30, was described by other prisoners as a “f****** weirdo,” who quickly became annoying due to some of his habits, documents released by police in Idaho revealed.
Kohberger was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison at a hearing at the Ada County courthouse in Boise for the murders of four University of Idaho students in 2022. Earlier this month he suddenly switched his plea to guilty avoiding the possibility of the death penalty.
Following his sentencing, the Moscow police department released several tranches of files related to their investigations, including accounts from inmates at Latah County Jail, where Kohberger had been held.
open image in galleryBryan Kohberger, 30, was sentenced to four consecutive life prison sentences without parole on Wednesday. The 30-year-old called his..

AmericasUS Crime NewsWorld

Red Lobster’s new CEO brought seafood chain back from brink of bankruptcy. He did it by reading customers’ comments

Red Lobster’s new CEO brought the seafood chain back from the brink of bankruptcy and he did it by reading customers’ comments.
Last month, Red Lobster launched its comeback menu with new crab-themed dishes, including table-side seafood boils, and it seems to be working.
Until September 14, seafood lovers may choose between the Mariner’s Boil, which features a Maine lobster tail, and the Sailor’s Boil, which features smoked sausage.
These boils can be enjoyed with a choice of three different seasonings, including Garlic Butter, Cajun Butter and Old Bay. The waiter shakes up the seasoning with the seafood in a bag right in front of the customers.
open image in galleryRed Lobster’s new CEO brought the seafood chain back from the brink of bankruptcy and he did it by reading customers’ comments (Getty)RecommendedRed Lobster launches comeback menu items in bid to win back fans after bankruptcyOlive Garden replaced as America’s favorite casual dining chainHooters has filed for bankruptcy…

World

‘I can barely do one story. I just feel dizzy’ – BBC’s Gaza freelance journalists tell of struggle for food

'I can barely do one story. I just feel dizzy' – BBC's Gaza freelance journalists tell of struggle for food5 hours agoShareSaveYolande KnellMiddle East correspondent, JerusalemShareSaveAnadolu via Getty ImagesJournalists are facing the same dire circumstances as those they are coveringThree trusted freelance Palestinian journalists whom the BBC relies on for its Gaza coverage have shared how they are now struggling to feed their families and often go two days or more without eating.
All of the men have kept their cameras running, sending us vital footage, even on days when their close relatives have been killed, they have lost their homes, or have been fleeing from Israeli military advances with their families.
One was previously badly wounded by shrapnel from an Israeli bombing while on assignment.
But he says the current time is “the hardest time I have lived through since I was born. It's a huge crisis of suffering and deprivation.”
Global food security experts ..