Uncategorized

Survivors of US strike on ‘drug vessel’ to be sent back to Ecuador, Colombia

AdvertisementAmericas and the CaribbeanWorldAmericasUS to send survivors of strike on suspected drug vessel back to Ecuador and ColombiaThe pair were picked up by the US military after American forces attacked a submersible vessel in the Caribbean
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPAssociated PressPublished: 6:18am, 19 Oct 2025The two survivors of an American military strike on a suspected drug-carrying vessel in the Caribbean will be sent to Ecuador and Colombia, their home countries, US President Donald Trump said on Saturday.
AdvertisementThe military rescued the pair after striking a submersible vessel on Thursday, in what was at least the sixth such attack since early September.
“It was my great honor to destroy a very large DRUG-CARRYING SUBMARINE that was navigating towards the United States on a well known narcotrafficking transit route,” Trump said in a social media post.
“U.S. Intelligence confirmed this vessel was loaded up with mostly Fentanyl, and other illegal na..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Ex-Proud Boys leader and Jan 6 convict Enrique Tarrio attends ‘No Kings’ rally in Miami

As the chants of “No Kings” echoed through downtown Miami on Saturday, former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio was livestreaming from the middle of the crowd.
Miami’s second “No Kings” protest drew an estimated 4,000 attendees, according to organizers.
Among them was Tarrio, who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for his role in the January 6 Capitol attack before he was pardoned by Donald Trump on his first day in office. Tarrio also attended counter protests at first “No Kings” demonstrations in June.
Organizers repeatedly warned demonstrators not to engage, The Miami Heraldreported.
“Walk away from the agitator,” they said through megaphones. “Please do not engage with any outside agitators.”
Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio, pictured at a rally organized by the Proud Boys in Portland, Oregon, showed up in Miami at a ‘No Kings’ rally October 18Tarrio, who lives in Miami, smiled into his camera and said: “I support all these people, especially her with the bullhorn.”
Tarrio ..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

‘No Kings’ protests pass in festival atmosphere as an estimated 7 million across US rally against Trump’s ‘authoritarianism’

Nearly 7 million demonstrators in small towns and cities across the country showed up for the “No Kings” protests to rally against Donald Trump’s presidency, according to organizers.
The president declared he was “not a king” on Fox News Friday, but that didn’t prevent millions of rally-goers in more than 2,500 locations across the U.S. protesting the second Trump administration. Saturday’s event marked the third mass mobilization since Trump reclaimed the White House last year.
The event marked one of the largest single-day nationwide demonstrations in U.S. history, surpassing the more than 5 million demonstrators who turned up to the first iteration of “No Kings” protests in June, organizers said.
“Today, millions of people showed that we, the people, will not be silenced,” Deirdre Schifeling, chief political and advocacy officer for the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement.
Protesters at rallies across the country shouted a common refrain:“Hey hey! Ho ho! Donald Trum..

World

No Kings protests draw huge crowds as anti-Trump rallies sweep across US

No Kings protests draw huge crowds as anti-Trump rallies sweep across US35 minutes agoShareSaveShareSaveProtesters gather for No Kings demonstrations against TrumpGrace Eliza GoodwinNew York City andCaitlin WilsonWashington, DCHuge crowds have gathered to protest against President Donald Trump's policies in cities across the US – among them New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles.
The rally in New York City's iconic Times Square drew thousands of people not long after it began on Saturday morning.
The streets and subway entrances were densely packed with people holding up signs with slogans like, “Democracy not Monarchy” and “The Constitution is not optional”.
Ahead of the demonstrations, Trump allies accused the protesters of being linked with the far-left Antifa movement, and condemned what they called “the hate America rally”.
Organisers and protesters out on Saturday said the events were peaceful.
Getty ImagesProtesters gather in New York City's Time..

Uncategorized

Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt will stay closed, Israeli PM says

AdvertisementIsrael-Gaza warWorldMiddle EastRafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt will stay closed, Israeli PM saysThe crossing is a key gateway into Gaza, and Hamas says the closure prevents entry of equipment needed to find more hostage bodies
Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPReutersPublished: 5:53am, 19 Oct 2025The Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt will remain closed until further notice, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Saturday, adding its reopening will depend on Hamas handing over bodies of deceased hostages.
AdvertisementNetanyahu’s statement came shortly after the Palestinian embassy in Egypt announced that the Rafah crossing, the main gateway for Gazans to leave and enter the enclave, would reopen on Monday for entry into Gaza.
Hamas, in a statement late on Saturday, said Netanyahu’s decision “constitutes a blatant violation of the ceasefire agreement and a repudiation of the commitments he made to the mediators and guarantor parties”.
I..

World

Eleven killed after Israel hits bus in Gaza, Hamas-run civil defence says

Eleven killed after Israel hits bus in Gaza, Hamas-run civil defence says8 hours agoShareSaveHugo BachegaMiddle East correspondent , JerusalemShareSaveAnadolu via Getty ImagesGaza City was heavily bombarded by Israeli troops before the ceasefire came into effectGaza's Hamas-run civil defence says 11 people were killed, all from the same family, after the bus they were in was hit by an Israeli tank shell in northern Gaza.
The Abu Shaaban family, it said, were trying to reach their home to inspect it when the incident happened in the Zeitoun neighbourhood of Gaza City on Friday night.
This is the deadliest single incident involving Israeli soldiers in Gaza since the start of the ceasefire eight days ago.
The Israeli military said soldiers had fired at a “suspicious vehicle” that had crossed the so-called yellow line demarcating the area still occupied by Israeli forces in Gaza.
Israeli soldiers continue to operate in more than half of the Gaza Strip, under the terms of the first pha..

Uncategorized

CEO killer Luigi Mangione’s lawyers claim Trump administration is ‘using him as a pawn’ to advance its own agenda

The defence attorneys argued in a new court filing that public comments and social media posts have denied him the right to a fair trial.The 27-year-old faces federal charges, including two counts of stalking, one count of murder through the use of a firearm, and one firearms offence in connection with the fatal shooting of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in Manhattan last December.Mangione fighting 'full force' of US government alone
In a letter submitted to a New York federal court on Friday, Mangione’s legal team said the government’s public statements are influencing public opinion and undermining the fairness of his case, reports NBC news. “Mr. Mangione is one young man, alleged to have acted alone, fighting for his life in three separate cases, against the full force and might of the entirety of the United States Government that is actively and persistently using him as a pawn to further its political agenda. This is the very definition of prejudicial where the cons..

Uncategorized

From prison to presidency: Madagascar’s coup leader sworn in as president – who is Colonel Michael Randrianirina?

Colonel Michael Randrianirina, former CAPSAT commander, assumed Madagascar’s presidency after leading troops into Antananarivo, following Gen Z protests ousting Andry Rajoelina/ Image composite: AP Colonel Michael Randrianirina, once a relatively obscure military officer, is now Madagascar’s most powerful figure. Days after leading his elite CAPSAT unit into the streets of Antananarivo to join youth-led protests demanding President Andry Rajoelina’s resignation, Randrianirina was sworn in as the country’s leader. His ascent, coming after a brief imprisonment for an alleged mutiny, has transformed a soldier from the southernmost reaches of Madagascar into the head of state.Early life and military career Randrianirina was born in 1974 in Sevohipoty, a small village in the Androy region of southern Madagascar. Little is publicly known about his family, but his career path reflects a steady rise through the military ranks. He served as governor of Androy from 2016 to 2018 under former Pres..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Virginia Giuffre’s family celebrates after Prince Andrew drops royal titles over alleged Epstein ties

The family of Prince Andrew's late sexual abuse accuser, Virginia Giuffre, is celebrating the royal relinquishing his remaining titles amid continued fallout over his ties to the late sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein.
“This is not just a victory for her, but for every single survivor of the horrific crimes perpetrated by [Jeffrey] Epstein and his co-conspirators”, family members told The New York Post in a statement.
The family has called for Andrew, who has denied all wrongdoing, including Giuffre’s allegations, to lose his title of prince next.
Earlier Friday, in a statement released by Buckingham Palace, Andrew said a decision had been reached in discussion with the King to relinquish his remaining titles, including the Duke of York, as “the continued accusations about me distract from the work of His Majesty and the royal family”.
Giuffre, who died by suicide earlier this year, was one of the first people to publicly call for charges against Epstein and has been an outspoken adv..

World

Red Cross retrieves body of dead hostage in Gaza, Israel says

Red Cross retrieves body of dead hostage in Gaza, Israel says 34 minutes agoShareSaveShareSaveReutersA Red Cross vehicle in Gaza City. Photo: 15 October 2025Israel's military says a coffin of a deceased hostage has been transferred to the Red Cross in the southern Gaza Strip and is now “on the way to IDF [Israel Defense Forces] troops” in the territory.
Posting on X, the IDF urged the public to “act with sensitivity and wait for the official identification, which will first be provided to the families”.
It stressed that Hamas was required to “return all the deceased hostages” in accordance with a Gaza ceasefire agreement.
This follows an earlier Hamas statement that it would hand over the body of an Israeli hostage on Friday.
Hamas this week returned the bodies of nine of the 28 dead hostages in Gaza, and freed all 20 living hostages.
There has been fury in Israel that Hamas has not returned all the bodies in line with last week's ceasefire deal – though the US has downplayed..