World

Gaza experiencing ‘real starvation’, Trump says

Gaza experiencing 'real starvation', Trump says2 hours agoShareSaveDavid GrittenBBC News, JerusalemGraeme BakerBBC NewsShareSaveReutersTom Fletcher, UN humanitarian chief, said most of the UN's food lorries were looted by desperately hungry Palestinians after entering Gaza on SundayThere is “real starvation” in Gaza, Donald Trump has said, after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisted there was no such thing.
Asked if he agreed with Netanyahu that it was a “bold-faced lie” to say Israel was fuelling hunger in Gaza, the US president replied: “I don't know… those children look very hungry… that's real starvation stuff.”
Speaking during a meeting with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer in Scotland, Trump said: “Nobody's done anything great over there. The whole place is a mess… I told Israel maybe they have to do it a different way.”
His comments came after the UN's humanitarian chief said “vast amounts” of food were needed to stave off sta..

World

Putin must agree Ukraine ceasefire in 10 or 12 days, says Trump

Putin must agree Ukraine ceasefire in 10 or 12 days, says Trump8 hours agoShareSaveLaura GozziBBC NewsShareSaveI'm disappointed with President Putin, Trump saysDonald Trump has presented a new, shorter deadline for Russia to agree to a ceasefire over the war in Ukraine of “ten or 12 days” from Monday.
The US president said there was “no reason” in waiting any longer as no progress towards peace had been made.
Two weeks ago, Trump said President Vladimir Putin had 50 days to end the war or Russia would face severe tariffs.
Speaking at a news conference in Scotland, Trump said he would confirm the new deadline on Monday or Tuesday, but reiterated the threat to impose sanctions and secondary tariffs on Moscow.
Earlier in July he said those would amount to 100% tax imposed on any country that trades with Russia.
This would make the goods so expensive that US businesses would likely choose to buy them cheaper from elsewhere, resulting in lost revenue for both Russia and the country t..

Uncategorized

MAGA singer’s Canada gigs cancelled: Backlash over Sean Feucht’s anti-diversity views

Sean Feuch (Picture: Instagram) US singer Sean Feucht’s permit to hold a concert at the York Redoubt National Historic Site in Halifax was cancelled this week by Parks Canada. Officials cited safety concerns following public backlash against his anti-2SLGBTQ+, anti-women’s rights, and anti-diversity remarks on social media. Feucht, a religious performer with links to the MAGA movement, was scheduled to perform on Wednesday. His permits for other events in Charlottetown (P.E.I.), Moncton (New Brunswick), and some parts of Quebec were also revoked soon after.MAGA movement rising star and Christian rocker Sean Feucht’s Halifax show faces backlash Feucht later performed at a private venue in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, hosted by pastors Christine and Neil Barr. They said they faced hundreds of hate messages and some protests but went ahead with the show.”A lot of very hateful emails, texts to say that we were allowing a fascist on our property and that we should know better and the Christia..

Uncategorized

Harry and the Diary of Reconciliation: Prince to share calendar with palace to avoid clashes

Representational image Prince Harry has agreed to share his official diary with the royal family to avoid clashes in public appearances and ease ongoing tensions. The move comes after his recent trip to Angola made headlines for revisiting princess Diana’s iconic anti-landmine walk, on the same day Queen Camilla's 78th birthday portrait was released. Harry’s photos reportedly overshadowed the coverage of the Queen’s milestone, which did not go down well with the palace. According to The Mail, Harry is now open to “deconflicting” his schedule with other senior royals, including Prince William’s team at Kensington palace. Their PR teams have reportedly kept in touch since private talks began earlier this year. In fact, aides from both camps were seen meeting at a London members club earlier this month.Harry's olive branch
Harry is also quietly pushing for a more personal reconnection with his father. According to royal expert Hilary Fordwich, King Charles remains “cautious and ..

AmericasIndy TVNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Trump announces EU trade deal that sees 15% flat tariff for products coming to US

Donald Trump announced a trade agreement with the European Union Sunday that will cut tariff rates down to 15 percent on imports from the trade bloc, while US exports will be tariff-free.
The president spoke alongside European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen at his Turnberry golf course in Scotland as he announced the news.
“All of the countries will be opened up to trade with the United States at zero tariff [for U.S. exports],” Trump told reporters, shaking Von der Leyen’s hand.
“We are agreeing that the tariff straight across for automobiles and everything else, will be a straight across tariff of 15 percent. So we have a tariff of 15 percent; we have the opening up of all of the European countries, which I think I could say [those markets] were essentially closed,” said the president. He also touted a number of impending EU investments, including a purchase of military materials.
Von der Leyen confirmed: “It is 15 percent tariffs across the board.”
open image in galleryDo..

World

EU and US agree trade deal, with 15% tariffs for European exports to America

EU and US agree trade deal, with 15% tariffs for European exports to America17 minutes agoShareSaveSarah SmithBBC North America Editor, at Turnberry, ScotlandShareSaveI think it's the biggest deal ever made – TrumpThe United States and European Union have reached a trade deal, ending a months-long standoff between two of the world's biggest economic partners.
After make-or-break negotiations between President Donald Trump and European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen in Scotland, the pair settled on a US tariff on all EU goods of 15%.
That is half the 30% import tax rate Trump had threatened to implement starting on Friday. He said the 27-member bloc would open its markets to US exporters with zero per cent tariffs on certain products.
Von der Leyen also hailed the deal, saying it would bring stability for both allies, who together account for almost a third of global trade.
Trump has wielded tariffs against major US trade partners in a bid to reorder the global eco..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Three killed and others seriously injured after train crash in southwestern Germany

Several people were killed when a passenger train derailed in southwestern Germany near the town of Biberach, close to the border with France, German media reported on Sunday, citing security sources.
Police in Stuttgart, who were cited by media in initial reports of the crash, were not immediately available for comment. A picture published in German media showed carriages had left the tracks and rolled over.
Federal police told dpa that the severity of the injuries was not immediately clear.
Roughly 100 people were aboard the train when at least two carriages derailed in a forested area around 6:10 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), dpa reported.
The crash happened near the town of Riedlingen, dpa reported, roughly 158 kilometers (98 miles) west of Munich. Reports say there had been a storm in the area shortly before.
Storms passed through the area before the crash and investigators were seeking to determine if the rain was a factor.
“There have been heavy rains here, so it cannot be ruled ..

Uncategorized

Yuen Yuen Ang on how China can turn ‘polycrisis’ into ‘polytunity’

AdvertisementUS-China relationsEconomyChina EconomyExclusive | Yuen Yuen Ang on how China can turn ‘polycrisis’ into ‘polytunity’The Johns Hopkins professor of political economy says Beijing’s ‘directed improvisation’ remains essential at a time when innovation is king
Reading Time:14 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPAlice LiPublished: 6:00am, 28 Jul 2025Updated: 6:32am, 28 Jul 2025Yuen Yuen Ang is the Alfred Chandler Chair Professor of political economy at Johns Hopkins University. She is an influential scholar, writing extensively on China’s political and economic trajectory, its international relations and its adaptive development in a fragmented, unpredictable world. Originally from Singapore, her award-winning work includes the books How China Escaped the Poverty Trap and China’s Gilded Age.
AdvertisementThis interview first appeared in SCMP Plus. For other interviews in the Open Questions series, click here.As a professor based in the United States, do you think there is a general de..

Uncategorized

When travellers think sustainability, make them think Greater Bay Area

AdvertisementClimate changeOpinionHong Kong OpinionKen ChuOpinion | When travellers think sustainability, make them think Greater Bay AreaThe joint efforts of policymakers, businesses and young people can help visitors turn climate action into everyday action
Reading Time:4 minutesWhy you can trust SCMPKen ChuPublished: 5:30am, 28 Jul 2025Earlier this year, Hong Kong launched its first fully electric ferry. In June, jurisdictions within the Greater Bay Area development zone marked a national event for the environment. Against this backdrop, a quiet but important shift is under way.AdvertisementPolicymakers in the Greater Bay Area are no longer just thinking about sustainability; they are setting it in motion. With the development zone becoming a hub for experimentation in smart infrastructure and climate innovation, the time is ripe to consider a low-carbon tourism corridor linking cities through cleaner and smarter ways to travel.
Guangdong province, Hong Kong and Macau are already re..

World

Malnutrition in Gaza at alarming levels, WHO warns as aid airdrops resume

Malnutrition in Gaza at alarming levels, WHO warns as aid airdrops resume3 hours agoShareSaveRuth ComerfordBBC NewsShareSaveWatch: Air drop aid seen arriving in northern GazaThe World Health Organization has warned malnutrition has reached “alarming levels” in Gaza with rates on a “dangerous trajectory”, after aid airdrops resumed in the Strip.
Jordan and the UAE dropped aid into Gaza on Sunday after Israel began what it called a “tactical pause” in fighting.
Israel had said it would halt military operations for 10 hours a day in parts of Gaza and allow aid corridors for UN convoys, to “refute the false claim of intentional starvation”. Hamas accused it of “whitewashing its image before the world”.
Jordan's military said its planes, working with the UAE, delivered 25 tonnes of aid in three drops. A lorry convoy also entered from Egypt, with another due from Jordan.
However, medics reported nine killed and 54 injured by Israeli fire near an aid convoy route in central Gaza. An airs..