UK police release 1 of 2 men arrested over train stabbings

AdvertisementCrimeWorldEuropeUK police release 1 of 2 men arrested over train stabbings, laud ‘heroic’ rail worker

11 people were injured in the attack. The train crew member who tried to stop the suspects is in a life-threatening condition, police said

Reading Time:2 minutesWhy you can trust SCMP

Forensic teams work at Huntington railway station on Sunday, where a London-bound train stopped after several people were stabbed on Saturday. Photo: EPA

Agencies

A 32-year-old British man was the sole suspect accused of a mass stabbing on a train in England, after another man arrested in the case was released on Sunday with no charges.

Advertisement

British police said the knife attack that put 11 people in hospital was not a terrorist incident. A 35-year-old man who had been arrested earlier was released after officers concluded he was not involved in the attack.

By late on Sunday, five of the injured had been discharged from hospital. Among those still being treated was a member of the train crew who tried to stop the attacker. He was in a life-threatening condition, police said.

“Detectives have reviewed the CCTV from the train and it is clear his actions were nothing short of heroic and undoubtedly saved many people’s lives,” police said.

Counterterrorism police had helped with the initial investigation after the mass stabbing of passengers on a train in eastern England on Saturday but police later said there was nothing to suggest that the incident was terrorism.

Advertisement

Work was now continuing to establish the events leading up to the attack and the suspect’s background, police said. A knife had also been recovered from the scene.

AdvertisementSelect VoiceChoose your listening speedGet through articles 2x faster1.25×250 WPMSlowAverageFast1.25x