World

At least 44 dead and hundreds missing after fire engulfs Hong Kong tower blocks

At least 44 dead and hundreds missing after fire engulfs Hong Kong tower blocks3 hours agoShareSaveHafsa KhalilandKathryn ArmstrongShareSaveWatch: Deadly fire engulfs Hong Kong apartment blocksAt least 44 people have been killed in a huge fire that has engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong's Tai Po district.
There are reports that some residents were trapped in the building, and police say 279 people are still missing.
More than 760 firefighters were deployed to tackle the blaze on Wednesday afternoon, with pictures showing flames and thick clouds of grey smoke billowing from the towers, dominating the city's skyline.
Three men have since been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter connected to the fire, according to local media reports, and an investigation has been launched.
The blaze broke out at the Wang Fuk Court housing complex at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT) and was classified as a level five – the highest in severity – by the fire department at 18:22.
..

World

What we know about the Hong Kong apartment fires

What we know about the Hong Kong apartment fires3 hours agoShareSaveTiffany WertheimerShareSaveWatch: Daybreak aerial vision shows fire still burning in Hong Kong apartment blocksA devastating fire has ripped through several high-rise tower blocks in Hong Kong, killing at least 44 people. More than 270 have been reported missing and thousands of residents are in evacuation shelters.
Pictures show several buildings ablaze, and thick smoke billowing into the air, dominating the Chinese territory's skyline.
As night fell, the fire was still burning hours after it was first reported, with more than 760 firefighters deployed to the scene.
Three men have since been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter connected to the fire, according to local media reports, and an investigation has been launched.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has expressed condolences to victims, including a “firefighter who died in the line of duty”, state media report.
What caused the blaze is still unclear, but here..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

FEMA agents couldn’t survey Chicago storm damage because ICE had swarmed the area for raids: report

A multi-agency team of about 50 people surveying storm-damaged Chicago was reportedly told to stand down earlier this month over concerns their operations would overlap with an unexpected contingent of ICE agents conducting patrols in the area.
On November 6, about ten groups of disaster workers, including those from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, were told to stand down for the day, as FEMA agents worried the presence of ICE agents and vehicles in the area could spark chaos or conflict that would put citizens and government employees at risk, The Washington Post reported.
The overlap came despite an alleged warning in October that a FEMA regional administrator gave to the Department of Homeland Security about the planned surveying operations. Disaster personnel were in the area because state officials requested assistance mapping damage after the Trump administration denied an initial appeal for a disaster declaration to respond to the summer flooding.
The alleged decisio..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Marjorie Taylor Greene will sit out the race to find her replacement refusing to endorse any candidate

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene will sit out of the race to find her replacement, refusing to endorse any candidate ahead of Georgia’s special election.
Greene announced last Friday that she will resign from Congress early next year following her public feud with President Donald Trump.
The congresswoman was once a fervent supporter of Trump until recent weeks, when she broke away from him on issues including foreign policy and affordability. Greene was also one of the few House Republicans who initially pushed to release government files related to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein before Trump gave his party his blessing to support the effort.
“I have too much self respect and dignity, love my family way too much, and do not want my sweet district to have to endure a hurtful and hateful primary against me by the President we all fought for, only to fight and win my election while Republicans will likely lose the midterms,” she wrote in a statement. “I refuse to..

World

Italian parliament unanimously votes to make femicide a crime

Italian parliament unanimously votes to make femicide a crime38 minutes agoShareSaveSarah RainsfordSouthern and Eastern Europe correspondent , RomeShareSaveGetty ImagesA Naples protest following the death of fourteen year-old Martina Carbonaro who was killed by her ex-boyfriend in May 2025Deputies in the Italian parliament have voted unanimously to introduce the crime of femicide – the murder of a woman, motivated by gender – as a distinct law to be punished with a life sentence.
In a symbolic move, the bill was approved on the day dedicated to the elimination of violence against women worldwide.
The idea of a law on femicide had been discussed in Italy before but the murder of Giulia Cecchettin by her ex-boyfriend was a tragedy that shocked the country into action.
In late November 2022, the 22-year-old was stabbed to death by Filippo Turetta, who then wrapped her body in bags and dumped it by a lakeside.
AFP via Getty ImagesThousands gathered outside the church where Giulia Cecchett..

World

Ukraine says ‘understanding’ reached with US on peace plan, as Trump says his envoy will meet Putin

Ukraine says 'understanding' reached with US on peace plan, as Trump says his envoy will meet Putin2 hours agoShareSaveLaura GozziShareSaveReutersPresident Zelensky's team are hoping to arrange a meeting with President Trump in November (file picture)Ukraine has said a “common understanding” has been reached with the US on a peace deal aimed at ending the war with Russia.
The proposal is based on a 28-point plan presented to Kyiv by the US last week, which American and Ukrainian officials worked on during weekend talks in Geneva.
In a post on social media, US President Donald Trump said the original plan “has been fine-tuned, with additional input from both sides”.
He added: “I have directed my Special Envoy Steve Witkoff to meet with President Putin in Moscow and, at the same time, Secretary of the Army Dan Driscoll will be meeting with the Ukrainians.”
President Zelensky's chief of staff said he expects Driscoll to visit Kyiv this week.
The Kremlin previously said..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Trump abruptly pulled plan to announce Obamacare extension after ‘significant congressional backlash’: report

Just minutes before President Donald Trump was set to unveil a plan to avert a massive hike for Obamacare health plans on Monday afternoon the event was suddenly pulled – reportedly because of widespread Republican unease on the Hill.
On CNN, anchor Jessica Dean was forced to interrupt herself as she asked a question of a health expert to announce some breaking news as it came into her ear – that the event had been abruptly postponed.
Federal subsidies passed under the Biden-era Inflation Reduction Act are set to expire at the end of the calendar year, and many Americans are already receiving notice that the monthly cost of their health care plans could jump by hundreds or even thousands of dollars for larger plans.
Democrats initially tried to avert those premium hikes by tying their extension to the party’s support for a continuing resolution to avert, and later end, a government shutdown. But despite that shutdown dragging out into the longest in U.S. history, Republicans refused to..

World

Zelensky welcomes amendments to proposed peace plan

Zelensky welcomes amendments to proposed peace planJust nowShareSaveLaura GozziandPatrick JacksonShareSaveRubio hails 'most productive day' of negotiations with UkraineUkrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has welcomed proposed changes to the controversial 28-point peace plan for ending the war with Russia.
It appears Ukraine's European allies produced an amended version of the plan after rejecting parts which favoured Russia's war aims.
“Now the list of necessary steps to end the war can become doable…” Zelensky said on Telegram. “Many correct elements have been incorporated into this framework.”
Later, in the early hours of Tuesday, Kyiv's mayor Vitali Klitschko said a wave of Russian missile and drone attacks hit an apartment building in the capital and disrupted electricity and water supplies.
Ukraine's Ministry of Energy also confirmed a “massive, combined enemy attack” on the country's energy infrastructure facilities.
“Energy officials wil..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Trump vows to fight back after judge threw out criminal cases he’d demanded against Comey and James: Live

CloseJames Comey reacts to dismissal of Trump admin's case against himDonald Trump’s administration has vowed to fight back after a federal judge threw out criminal cases that the president demanded against former FBI Director James Comey and New York Attorney General Letitia James.
U.S. District Judge Cameron McGowan Currie ruled Monday that the interim U.S. Attorney who signed off on the cases, Lindsey Halligan, was unlawfully appointed to her position – making the indictments themselves invalid.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told Fox News that Halligan was “legally appointed” and said, “I know the Department of Justice will be appealing this in very short order.”
Comey and James are among several Trump enemies being targeted by investigations.
Also on Monday, the Department of Defense announced it would investigate “serious allegations of misconduct against” Senator Mark Kelly, a former naval officer, after he participated in a video, encouraging active milita..

World

Belgian airports to be hit by ‘major disruption’ amid austerity strike

Belgian airports to be hit by 'major disruption' amid austerity strike7 hours agoShareSaveCachella SmithandPatrick JacksonShareSaveAFP via Getty ImagesA train stands idle at an empty platform the Gare du Midi in Brussels on MondayBelgium is bracing for widespread disruption across sectors including public transport and schools this week as unions hold a three-day national strike.
The action was called in response to Prime Minister Bart De Wever's attempts to shrink Belgium's debt by changing labour laws and reforming unemployment benefits and pensions.
Teachers, medical staff and rubbish collectors will all be joining the rolling industrial action which is set to end in a general strike on Wednesday.
Eurostar is among organisations warning of potential disruption, while the two main airports have advised customers that all departure flights will be cancelled on Wednesday.
The country had already been hit by several strikes since de Wever, a Flemish nationalist, c..