AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Senate acts with lightning speed to pass Epstein files release after Trump gives green light

The U.S. Senate moved rapidly to pass the legislation to compel the Justice Department to release files related to the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, just a couple of hours after the House of Representatives almost unanimously passed the legislation.
The Senate did not add amendments, despite overtures from House Speaker Mike Johnson, who had initially opposed the initial vote in the House until President Donald Trump made a last-minute about-face to say he would sign the legislation.
“When a bill passes the House for 27 to one and the president said he'll sign it into law, I'm not sure that there's going to be a need for an amendment or desire for an amendment process,” Senate Majority Leader John Thune told The Independent after the House held its vote.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) requested unanimous consent for the legislation to deem it passed as soon as it came to the Senate floor, sending it to Trump’s desk.
“The American people have ..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Rapper Nicki Minaj backs Trump and calls for protections for Christians in Nigeria

Rapper Nicki Minaj has publicly backed President Donald Trump’s allegations of Christian persecution in Nigeria, saying at a United Nations event on Tuesday, organised by the U.S., that she intends to highlight “the deadly threat.”
President Trump has previously claimed Christianity faces an “existential threat” in Nigeria and reportedly instructed the Pentagon to prepare for potential military action in the West African nation.
However, experts and local residents offer a more nuanced perspective, noting that while some attacks do target Christians, the widespread violence that has long plagued the country affects everyone indiscriminately, regardless of their background or belief.
open image in galleryMinaj spoke at the event, which came after she replied to Trump's social media post about Nigeria earlier this month (AFP via Getty Images)The Trinidadian-born artist thanked President Trump for his leadership and for called for urgent action “to defend Christians in Nigeria, to..

World

Lebanon says Israeli strike killed 13 people near Palestinian refugee camp

Lebanon says Israeli strike killed 13 people near Palestinian refugee camp2 hours agoShareSaveSam Hancock and Hugo Bachega,Middle East correspondent ShareSaveReutersAt least 13 people have been killed in an Israeli strike near a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, the country's health ministry says.
The Israeli military said it had targeted members of the Palestinian armed group Hamas “operating in a training compound… in the Ein el-Hilweh area”.
It said the location was used by Hamas to plan and carry out attacks against Israel, which Hamas rejected as “fabrication and lies”.
Israel has carried out regular air strikes on people and places in Lebanon since a deal to end the conflict with the Iran-backed armed group Hezbollah. Most strikes have targeted Hezbollah but Israel has also attacked Hamas in the country.
As well as those killed, Lebanon's health ministry said at least four people had been injured in the strike.
Images showed emergency workers at the entra..

World

Cristiano Ronaldo to visit White House on same day as Saudi crown prince

Cristiano Ronaldo to visit White House on same day as Saudi crown prince3 hours agoShareSaveDearbail JordanShareSaveReutersSuperstar footballer Cristiano Ronaldo is to visit the White House on Tuesday, a US official has confirmed – the same day as the leader of Saudi Arabia where the Portuguese currently plays the game.
The White House official did not say Ronaldo was part of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's official delegation.
However his starring role in the Saudi football league has seen him become a face of the country's modernisation drive under the crown prince, the country's de-facto ruler, who wants to reduce the country's dependence on oil revenues by diversifying into other areas including sports and tourism.
The footballer is not believed to have been to the US since 2016.
In the interim he has faced an allegation of sexual assault. Kathryn Mayorga alleged that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, which he denied.
“I firmly deny t..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Trump says he’d sign a bill to release the Epstein files if it’s passed by Congress: Live updates

CloseCroaky Trump says he hurt his voice yelling at peoplePresident Donald Trump has confirmed that he would sign a bill compelling the Justice Department to release the Jeffrey Epstein files.
Trump said he would sign the legislation while speaking to reporters during a White House FIFA World Cup 2026 Task Force meeting in the Oval Office. The House is expected to vote on the bill as soon as Tuesday, but it could still face hurdles in the Senate.
The president’s voice was also hoarse throughout the event, prompting one reporter to ask him about it.
“I feel great,” Trump replied. “I was shouting at people because they were stupid about something having to do with trade in a country, and I straightened it out, but I blew my stack at these people.”
Trump was later pressed on which country it was, but he declined to answer.
The event comes after Trump said that House Republicans should vote to release the Epstein files, in a stunning reversal of his former position. Before Trump’s endors..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

Hitting it big twice: NJ couple wins $3M in lottery, months after $1M win

A couple in New Jersey has had a seriously lucky year after hitting lottery jackpots twice in 2025.
The couple won $3 million in a scratch-off ticket less than six months after they won another $1 million prize from the New Jersey Lottery.
They told the New Jersey Lottery that the game they won — Jackpot Millions — was one of several they bought from an Exxon station in Fischer Bay.
The husband said he and his wife have had a competition to see who can win the most from scratch-offs.
“With our kids, we can't really get out of the house,” the husband said. “So at the beginning of the month, we get some tickets. When the kids go to bed, we scratch a few off. We like to make it a bit of a competition — who can win the most. It seems we at least always break even.”
A New Jersey couple won a $3 million jackpot less than six months after they won a $1 million jackpot (New Jersey Lottery)He said he knew before he'd even finished scratching that he'd won big, and handed the ..

World

Trump’s plan for Gaza backed by UN Security Council

Trump's plan for Gaza backed by UN Security Council1 hour agoShareSaveDearbail JordanShareSaveWatch: UN Security Council votes to adopt Trump's Gaza peace planThe UN Security Council has voted in favour of a US-drafted resolution, which endorses Donald Trump's 20-point plan for Gaza.
Included in the plan is the establishment of an International Stabilisation Force (ISF), which the US says multiple unnamed countries have offered to contribute to.
The resolution was backed by 13 countries – including the UK, France and Somalia – with none voting against the proposal. Russia and China abstained.
Hamas has rejected the resolution, saying it fails to meet Palestinians' rights and demands.
The plan “imposes an international guardianship mechanism on the Gaza Strip, which our people and their factions reject,” the group said on Telegram.
“Assigning the international force with tasks and roles inside the Gaza Strip, including disarming the resistance, strips it of its neu..

World

Ukraine to get up to 100 French-made Rafale fighter jets

Ukraine to get up to 100 French-made Rafale fighter jets5 hours agoShareSaveJaroslav Lukiv and James Watershouse,Ukraine correspondent in BrusselsShareSaveReutersUkraine will get up to 100 of France's Rafale F4 fighter jets as well as advanced air defence systems in a major deal to boost Kyiv's ability to protect itself against deadly Russian attacks.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky hailed the move as “historic”, after signing the letter of intent with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron at an air base near Paris.
Deliveries of the Rafale F4's are planned to be completed by 2035, while the joint production of interceptor drones is starting this year.
Financial details are yet to be worked out, but reports say France plans to attract EU financing and also access frozen Russian assets – a controversial move that has split the 27-member bloc.
“This is a strategic agreement which will last for 10 years starting from the next year,” Zelensky said at a joint briefing..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsUS Crime NewsUS politicsWorld

Mike Pompeo joins Ukraine’s Fire Point advisory board as company looks to boost missiles amid probe

Former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has joined the advisory board of Ukraine’s leading defense company, renowned for its long-range drones capable of striking targets deep inside Russia, as a corruption investigation continues.
In an effort to enhance its international reputation, Fire Point is establishing a new factory in Denmark and bringing prominent industry figures on board. It also aims to expand its operations to produce battle-tested cruise missiles, with plans to more than double its current capacity.
However, public scrutiny remains intense during an ongoing corruption investigation. Fire Point’s executives insist they have nothing to hide and are operating under strict martial law protocols, even commissioning an independent audit to appease investigators. Critics, however, question the company’s opaque origins and the monopoly of its contracts with the Defense Ministry, and point to alleged links to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy ’s notorious associate Tymur Mindich,..

AmericasEuropeIndy TVMiddle EastNewsSportUS Crime NewsUS politicsUS SportWorld

NBA calls on teams and players to hand over phones and documents in gambling investigation, report says

The NBA is reportedly asking players and several teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers, to hand over their cellphones and documents as part of a massive investigation into illegal sports betting.
The league has hired an outside law firm, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz, following pressure from Congress after the Department of Justice brought charges against Portland Trailblazers head coach Chauncey Billups, Miami Heat guard Terry Rozier and former player and coach Damon Jones in two separate cases, according to The Athletic.
One case involves allegations of illegal sports betting while the second deals with what federal prosecutors are calling a years-long scheme to swindle millions of dollars from high rollers in allegedly rigged poker games.
Investigators from the firm are expected to probe the Lakers players, including star player LeBron James, a former teammate and trainee of Jones, who gave him special access to the team, according to the report.
Lakers assistant trainer Mike ..